As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
afla Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (að), v.
- 1) to gain, earn, procure (~ e-m e-s);
- ~ sér fjár ok frama, to earn fame and wealth;
- ~ði þessi bardagi honum mikillar frægðar, brought him great fame;
- 2) with acc., to earn (~ði hann þar fé mikit);
- refl., e-m ~st e-t, one gains a thing;
- 3) with dat., to perform, accomplish (hann ~ði brátt mikilli vinnu);
- with infin., to be able (ekki ~r hann því at standa í móti yður).
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛅᚠᛚᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.