AllsOld Icelandic Dictionary - alls
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "alls" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
alls Old Icelandic word can mean:
- gen. sing. of allr, used as an adv.;
- 1) a. ekki (eigi), not at all, by no means;
- þeir ugðu a. ekki at sér, they were not a bit afraid;
- a. engi, no one at all;
- sometimes without a negative following it, quite, altogether;
- ær a. geldar, ewes quite barren;
- a. vesall, altogether wretched;
- hann var eigi a. tvítugr, not quite twenty years old;
- 2) in connection with numbers, in all;
- alls fórust níu menn, there perished nine in all;
- 3) far;
- alls of lengi, alls til lengi, far too long a time.
- conj. as, since (~ þú ert góðr drengr kallaðr);
- with addition of ‘er’ (~ er þú ert svá þráhaldr á þínu máli).
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛅᛚᛚᛋ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.