AptrOld Icelandic Dictionary - aptr
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "aptr" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
aptr Old Icelandic word can mean:
- 1) back; fara (snúa, koma, senda, sœkja, hverfa) a., to go (turn etc.) back; reka a., to drive back, repel; kalla a., to recall, revoke;
- 2) backwards; fram ok a., backwards and forwards, to and fro; þeir settu hnakka á bak sér a., they bent their necks backwards;
- 3) lúka (láta) a., to shut, close; hlið, port, hurð er a., is shut;
- 4) at the back, in the rear; þat er maðr fram, en dýr a., the fore part a man, the hind part of a beast; bæði a. ok fram, stem and stern (of a ship); Sigurðr sat a. á kistunni, S. sat aft on the stern-chest;
- 5) again; Freyja vaknar ok snerist við ok sofnar a., and falls asleep again.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛅᛒᛏᚱ
- et cetera.
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.