BandOld Icelandic Dictionary - band
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "band" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
band Old Icelandic word can mean:
- 1) the act of binding or settling, opp. to lausn;
- fig., lausn ok ~ allra vandamála, the decision in all difficult cases;
- 2) band, cord (mjótt ~);
- 3) in pl.:
- a) bonds, fetters (hafa e-n í böndum);
- b) bond, confederacy (ganga í bönd ok eið);
- c) poet., the gods, cf. höpt;
- blóta bönd, to worship the gods;
- at mun banda, at the will of the gods.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛒᛅᚾᛏ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.