As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
beina Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (-da, -dr), v.
- 1) to stretch out, put into motion;
- ~ flug, to stretch the wings for flight;
- ~ skrið sinn, to creep, of a serpent;
- ~ raustina, to raise the voice, speak aloud;
- 2) to further, promote;
- ~ för (ferð) e-s, to help one forwards;
- ~ at or til með e-m, to lend one help, to assist one;
- ~ e-u til e-s, to contribute to a thing;
- ~ at e-u, to lend a hand to;
- ~ fyrir e-m, to support, entertain.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛒᛁᛁᚾᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.