BetrOld Icelandic Dictionary - betr
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "betr" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
betr Old Icelandic word can mean:
- adv. compar.,
- 1) better;
- ~ þœtti mér, I would rather;
- vánu ~, better than expected;
- hafa ~, to get the better of it;
- 2) more;
- leggit fram ~ hit mikla skipit, bring further forward;
- þrjú hundruð ok þrír tigir ok sex ~, to boot;
- ef hann orkar (or má) ~, if he can do more;
- ekki máttu sumir inenn ~ en fá staðizt, they were just able to keep up against him;
- svá hár, at engi annarra tók ~ en í öxl honum, reached higher than to his shoulder.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛒᛁᛏᚱ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.