DettaOld Icelandic Dictionary - detta
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "detta" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
detta Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (dett; datt, duttum; dottinn), v. to drop, fall;
- ~ niðr dauðr, to drop down dead;
- duttu þær ofan, they tumbled down;
- sauðfénaðr datt niðr unnvörpum (dropped down, died suddenly, in heaps) í megrð;
- spjót dettr ór hendi e-m, the spear drops out of one’s hand;
- dauðinn dettr á, comes on suddenly;
- datt norðanveðrit í logn, the north wind fell altogether;
- láta e-t ~ niðr, to let a matter drop.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛏᛁᛏᛏᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.