As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
elda Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (elda, eldr), v.
- 1) to light, kindle a fire (hann eldir undir katlinum); with dat. of the fuel (~ viði);
- 2) to kindle, light, set fire to, with acc.; ~ vita, to kindle a beacon; fig., e. hug e-s, to kindle one’s mind; ek skal yðra húð e. knáliga með klungrum, I shall make you smart;
- 3) to heat, warm (~ hús, ~ ofn til brauðs) to smelt; fig. ~ grátt silfr, to be bad friends;
- 4) impers., eldi hér lengi af með þeim brœðrum, the spark of resentment was long felt among the brothers;
- 5) it clears up; eldi nokkut élit (acc.), the shower cleared up a little; nótt (acc.) eldir, the night brightens, the day dawns.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛁᛚᛏᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.