GangastOld Icelandic Dictionary - gangast
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "gangast" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
gangast Old Icelandic word can mean:
- v. refl. to be altered, to change, of tradition (~ í munni);
- láta e-t ~, to waive, give up;
- e-m gengst hugr við, is moved to compassion by something (þá gekst Þorgerdi hugr við harmatölur hans);
- ~ at, to engage in a fight (þeir gengust at lengi);
- ~ á, to be set off against one another (á gengust vígin húskarlanna); to dash against one another;
- á gengust eiðar, the oaths were broken;
- ~ nær, to come to close quarters;
- ~ við, to gain strength: áðr en við gengist hans bæn, before his prayer should be fulfilled;
- E. hafði mikit við gengizt um menntir, E. had much improved himself in good breeding.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚴᛅᚾᚴᛅᛋᛏ