As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
gangr Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (gen. gangs), m.
- 1) walking (vera á gangi); motion, activity of any kind (þá var hvert járn á gangi);
- 2) pace, pacing (temja hesta við gang ok hlaup);
- 3) course (~ himintungla);
- 4) prevailing, being in vogue;
- hafa mikinn gang, to be much in vogue;
- heldr er vaxandi ~ at þeim, they (viz. the dreams) were rather on the increase;
- svá mikill ~ var orðinn at eldinum, the fire had got to such a height.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚴᛅᚾᚴᚱ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.