GefastOld Icelandic Dictionary - gefast
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "gefast" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
gefast Old Icelandic word can mean:
- v. refl.
- vel (illa), to prove good (bad);
- opt hafa mér vel gefizt yður ráð, your counsels have often proved good for me;
- hefir þeim þat ok aldri vel gefizt, it has never turned out well;
- ~ gjöfum, to give gifts to one another;
- ~ á vald e-s, to give oneself into another’s power;
- ~ upp, to give in, surrender;
- e-m gefst e-t yfir, one does wrong in a thing (ef göfgum mönnum gáfust stórir hlutir yfir).
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚴᛁᚠᛅᛋᛏ