As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
heldr Old Icelandic word can mean:
- adv. compar.
- 1) more, rather;
- ~ en, rather than, more than (vápn þeirra bitu eigi ~ en vendir);
- 2) at ~, any the more;
- also, all the more (at ~ tveimr, at ek mynda gjarna veita yðr öllum);
- at ~ þótt, even although;
- 3) rather (nú vartu ~ til skjótr, en ek ~ til seinn);
- var brúðrin döpur ~, the bride was rather sad;
- 4) after a negative, but, on the contrary.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚼᛁᛚᛏᚱ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.