As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
hljóta Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (hlýt; hlaut, hlutum; hlotinn), v.
- 1) to get by lot, to have allotted to oneself (hón hlaut at sitja hjá Björgólfi);
- 2) to get (h. sigr); margir hlutu gott af hans ráðum, many benefited by his counsels;
- 3) to undergo, suffer (h. högg, úför, harm);
- 4) to be obliged to; svá mun nú h. at vera, it must needs be so; fara hlýtr þú með mér, thou must go with me;
- 5) refl., ~st af e-u, to result or proceed from (mun hér h. af margs manns bani); hlauzt svá til, at þá tunn átti Ingimundr, it so happened that.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚼᛚᛁᚢᛏᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.