KaupaOld Icelandic Dictionary - kaupa
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "kaupa" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
kaupa Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (kaupi, keypta, kayptr), v.
- 1) to buy (keypti Njáll land í Ossabœ);
- absol. to make a bargain;
- ~ kaupi, to bargain;
- 2) to make an agreement about (þeir keyptu þessu);
- 3) with preps.:
- ~ e-n á braut, to buy one of;
- ~ e-t at e-m, to buy a thing of one;
- ~ saman, to bargain;
- ~ um e-t, to barter, exchange (keypti hann um lönd við Guðrúnu);
- ~ við e-n, to make a bargain, come to terms with one;
- recipr., ~st við, to bargain with one another.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚴᛅᚢᛒᛅ
- absolute, absolutely.
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.