MargrOld Icelandic Dictionary - margr
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "margr" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
margr Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (mörg, mart), a.
- 1) in sing. a collect. sense, both as subst. and a., many a (one);
- ~ maðr, many a person;
- ~ mun þik öfunda, many a one will envy thee;
- neut., mart, many things, opp. to ‘fátt’ (tala ~, margs vitandi);
- í mörgu, in many things, in many respects;
- fyrir margs sakir, for many reasons;
- mart manna, many people;
- 2) in pl. many (særðr mörgum sárum);
- 3) fig. friendly, communicative, opp. to fár (var hann ~ við Árna biskup).
- m. great number;
- ekki má við margnum, no one can stand against great odds.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛘᛅᚱᚴᚱ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.