NjótaOld Icelandic Dictionary - njóta
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "njóta" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
njóta Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (nýt; naut, nutum; notit), v.
- 1) to have the use or benefit of, to enjoy (þú skalt ~ kvikfjár þíns ok verða í brottu frá Helgafelli); skal hann ~ draums síns, he shall have his dream out; njót þú heill handa, good luck go with your hands;
- 2) to derive benefit from, profit by; Egils nauztu at því, föður þíns, you had your father Egil to thank for that; lítt lætr þú mik ~ frændsemi frá þér, you let me have little profit of kinship with you; nauzt þú nú þess, at ek var eigi við búinn, it was your good fortune that I was not ready for you; ~ e-s við, to receive help at one’s hands; mun ek yðvar verða við at ~, I shall have need of your help; ~ af e-u, to consume (naut vóru œrin, nutum af stórum);
- 3) impers., ekki nýtr sólar, there is no sun; naut at því mest hans forellris, at, it was chiefly due to his forefathers that; þess naut mjök við í Þrándheimi (it helped greatly), at menn áttu þar mikil forn korn;
- 4) recipr., ~st, to enjoy each other (Þorveig seiddi til þess, at þau skyldi eigi ~ mega).
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚾᛁᚢᛏᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.