As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
norðan Old Icelandic word can mean:
- adv. from the north (koma, fara, ríða, sigla ~);
- vindr var á ~, the wind blew from the north;
- ~ af Hálogalandi, from H. in the north;
- ~ at, on the north side of (G. ok N. stóðu ~ at dóminum);
- fyrir ~ (with acc.), north of (fyrir ~ heiðina);
- fyrir ~ land, in the north (of Iceland).
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚾᚢᚱᚦᛅᚾ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.