As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
reið Old Icelandic word can mean:
- I) (pl. -ar), f.
- 1) ride, riding (var honum þá fenginn hestr til ~ar);
- vera einn í ~, to ride alone;
- þeir vóru beztir hestar at ~, they were the best of riding-horses;
- var þá ok sén ~ þeirra, they were seen riding;
- 2) vehicle, carriage, chariot (Þórr á ~ þá, er hann ekr, en hafrarnir draga ~na);
- 3) clap of thunder (því næst flugu eldingar ok ~ar).
- II) from ríða.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚱᛁᛁᚦ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.