As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
róa Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (rœ; reri, reyri, røri; róinn), v.
- 1) to row, pull; hann rœr út í Bjarneyjar, he rows out to the Bearisles; with the boat in dat. (reru þeir skipinu upp í ána);
- 2) to row out to sea, go fishing, = r. út (þenna morgin bjóst Þ. á sjó at r.); er hann kom þar, vóru allir menn rónir nema Þ., all the men had rowed out fishing except Th.;
- 3) to rock oneself backwards and forwards;
- 4) recipr., róast at, to pull so as to encounter one another, of two ships in battle.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚱᚢᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.