As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
rúnar Old Icelandic word can mean:
- f. pl.
- 1) secret, hidden lore, wisdom;
- of ~ heyrða ek dœma, I heard them talk of mysteries;
- jötna ~, the mysteries of the giants;
- 2) written characters, runes;
- rísta ~, to engrave runes (réð ek þær ~, er reist þín systir);
- rísta ~ á kefli, to cut runes on a stick;
- 3) magical characters or signs (hann tók við horninu ok reist á ~ ok reið á blóðinu).
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚱᚢᚾᛅᚱ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.