As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
sér Old Icelandic word can mean:
- I) refl. pron. dat.
- 1) for oneself, separately, singly (fór Eyjólfr einn ~);
- eitt er þat ~, that is a thing by itself;
- 2) in a distributive sense, ~ hverr, ~ hvárr, each by himself, each separately;
- ef ~ ferr hverr várr, if each of us goes by himself;
- stundum báðir samt, stundum ~ hvárr þeirra, sometimes each of them singly;
- þat lið, er honum fylgði, flýr ~ hvat, in all directions.
- II) from vera.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛋᛁᚱ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.