As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
skjöldr Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (gen. skjaldar, dat. skildi; pl. skildir, acc. skjöldu), m. shield;
- hafa e-n at skildi fyrir sér, to have another as a shield before one;
- bera efra (hærra) skjöld, to have the best of it, to gain the day;
- þjóna undir þann skjöld, to serve under that standard;
- leika tveim skjöldum, to play a double game;
- koma í opna skjöldu, to attack in flank (from the left);
- skjóta skildi yfir e-n, to protect one.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛋᚴᛁᚢᛚᛏᚱ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.