SkömmOld Icelandic Dictionary - skömm
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "skömm" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
skömm Old Icelandic word can mean:
- I) (gen. skammar, pl. skammir), f. shame;
- lifa við ~, to live in shame;
- er þat ~ at sitja hjá, it is a shame to sit idly by;
- fœra ~ at e-m, gøra e-m ~, to bring dishonour on one;
- bíða ~, to suffer disgrace;
- veiða at ~, to be put to shame.
- II) from skammr, short.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛋᚴᚢᛘᛘ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.