SleppaOld Icelandic Dictionary - sleppa
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "sleppa" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
sleppa Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (slepp; slapp, sluppum; sloppinn), v.
- 1) to slip, glide (sleggjan slapp ór hendi honum); sluppu honum fœtr, his feet slipped;
- 2) to slip away, escape (ef Þórólfr skal s.);
- 3) to slip, fail; ef yðr sleppr at festa hendr á Birni, if you fail to get hold of Bjorn.
- (-ta, -t), v. to make slip out of one’s hands, let slip; Þorgils hafði sleppt øxinni, Th. had let go of the axe.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛋᛚᛁᛒᛒᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.