SóttOld Icelandic Dictionary - sótt
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "sótt" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
sótt Old Icelandic word can mean:
- I) (pl. -ir), f. sickness, illness, disease;
- taka (or fá) s., to fall ill, be taken ill;
- kasta á sik s., to feign illness;
- kenna (or kenna sér) sóttar, to feel the symptoms of illness;
- pl. pains of labour (at sú mær hafði miklar sóttir).
- II) from sœkja.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛋᚢᛏᛏ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.