As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
steinn Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (-s, -ar), m.
- 1) stone, boulder, rock (s. einn mikill);
- 2) precious stone (bitullinn var settr steinum);
- 3) calculus or stone in the bladder;
- 4) paint (skip teint bæði hvítum steini ok rauðum);
- 5) stone building, cloister, cell; setjast (or ganga) í stein, to become a hermit.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᛋᛏᛁᛁᚾᚾ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.