ÞiggjaOld Icelandic Dictionary - þiggja
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "þiggja" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
þiggja Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (þigg; þá, þágum; þeginn), v.
- 1) to receive, accept of;
- ~ e-t af e-m, at e-m, to receive (get) from one, at one’s hands;
- ~ e-t at gjöf, to receive as a present;
- ~ e-n undan, to get one relieved, set free (ef þér vilit þessa menn undan ~);
- 2) absol., to take lodging, receive hospitality for a night (þigg þú hér, Sigurðr!);
- 3) to accept (þóttist jarl þá vita, at Óðinn mundi þegit hafa blótit).
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚦᛁᚴᚴᛁᛅ
- absolute, absolutely.
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.