ÞingOld Icelandic Dictionary - þing
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "þing" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
þing Old Icelandic word can mean:
- 1) assembly, meeting;
- esp. for purposes of legislation, a parliament;
- slíta ~i, segja ~ laust, to dissolve a meeting;
- 2) parish;
- 3) district, county, shire;
- vera í ~i goða, to be in the district of such and such a goði, to be his liegeman, in his jurisdiction;
- 4) interview, of lovers;
- vera í ~um við konu, to have a love intrigue with a woman (þat var talat, at Þorbjórn væri í ~um við Þórdísi);
- 5) in pl. things articles, valuables (síðan tók hón ~ sín, en Þorsteinn tók hornin).
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚦᛁᚾᚴ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.