As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
því Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (prop. dat. from þat), adv. and conj.
- 1) therefore (varð ~ ekki af ferðinni);
- af ~, therefore;
- 2) af ~ at, ~ at, because, for (tókst eigi atreiðin, því at búendr frestuðu);
- 3) ~ at eins, only on that condition
- 4) why, = hví (only in later texts);
- 5) with compar., the; hann var ~ ástsælli sem hann var ellri, he was the more beloved the older he grew.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚦᚢᛁ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.