UnaOld Icelandic Dictionary - una
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "una" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
una Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (uni, unda, unat), v.
- 1) to be content in a place (Tumi undi eigi í Flateyju);
- 2) to dwell, abide, in a biblical sense (~ í helgum friði);
- 3) to enjoy, be happy in, content with a thing;
- þeir undu illa sínum hlut, they were much dissatisfied with their lot;
- ~ lífi, to enjoy life;
- ~ vel við ráð sitt, to be content with one’s lot;
- uni (imperat.) þú vel við, be content!
- ~ sér, ~ við sik, to be happy, feel at ease;
- ~ lítt eptir e-n, to feel deeply the loss (death) of a person.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚢᚾᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.