As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
veð Old Icelandic word can mean:
- I) (gen. pl. ~ja), n. pledge, surety;
- setja e-t í ~, at ~i, to pledge, give in pledge;
- hann bauð at ~i alla eign sína, he offered all his property as a pledge;
- leysa (út) ~, to redeem a pledge;
- hafa e-t í ~i, to have at stake;
- vera í ~i, to be at stake (líf mitt er í ~i).
- II) from vaða.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚢᛁᚦ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.