As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
veizla Old Icelandic word can mean:
- 1) grant, gift, allowance;
- 2) help, assistance, backing, = lið~;
- 3) feast, banquet (~n fór vel fram, ok var veitt með miklum kostnaði);
- 4) the reception or entertainment to be given to the Norse king by his landed men (lendir menn) and stewards (ármenn), and to the bishop by the priests; the king was said to ‘fara at veizlum, taka veizlur’;
- 5) a royal grant, revenue (fekk konungr honum veizlur miklar); hann hafði áðr haft alla sýsluna suma at veizlu, en suma at léni, partly as a grant, partly as a fief.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚢᛁᛁᛋᛚᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.