As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
vella Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (vell; vall, ullum; ollinn), v.
- 1) to be in a state of ebullition, boil (rigndi blóði ~nda);
- 2) to well up, swarm; v. möðkum, to swarm with worms; ullu út ór ormar, worms swarmed out.
- (-da, -dr), v. to prepare or cook by boiling (v. lauk ok grös).
- f. boiling heat, ebullition.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚢᛁᛚᛚᛅ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.