YfirOld Icelandic Dictionary - yfir
Meaning of Old Icelandic word "yfir" in English.
As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
yfir Old Icelandic word can mean:
- prep. with dat. and acc.
- I. with dat. over, above (hvers manns alvæpni hekk y. rúmi hans); sitja y. borðum, to sit at table; s. yfir málum manna, to sit at, attend to cases, as judge; konungr y. Englandi, king over E.; vaka y. e-m, to wake or watch over;
- II. with acc.
- 1) over, above (Skaði tók eitr-orm, ok festi upp y. hann); hann tók y. sik skikkjuna, he put on the mantle; komast y. e-t, to come by a thing;
- 2) over, across, through (síðan fóru þeir y. Norðrá);
- 3) fig. over, beyond; hafa vöxt y. e-n, to have growth over, be taller than; fram y. aðra menn, beyond, above other men;
- 4) adverbial usages, sá kvittr kom y., passed over; kveld kemr y., evening draws on.
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚢᚠᛁᚱ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.