As defined by A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Geir Zoëga):
ýmiss Old Icelandic word can mean:
- (neut. ýmist; pl. ~ir, ~ar, usually contracted ýmsir or ymsir, ýmsar or ymsar, neut. ýmis, ýmsi or ýms), a. now this, now that (ýmist hann hugði);
- hann gerði ýmist, hjó eða lagði, he cut and thrust alternately;
- esp. pl. various, sundry, now these, now those, by turns (höfðu ymsir sigr);
- í ymsum stöðum, in various places;
- reka kaupferðir til ~a landa, to go on trading expeditions to various countries;
- einir ok ~ir, one and another, sundry;
- allir ok þó ~ir, all by turn;
- ýmist … eða, now … now, sometimes … sometime (Bolli var ýmist í Tungu eða at Helga felli).
Possible runic inscription in Younger Futhark:ᚢᛘᛁᛋᛋ
Also available in related dictionaries:
This headword also appears in dictionaries of other languages closely related to Old Icelandic.